9/11/2012

Love Poems from Greek Villager's Folk Songs

I am delighted to have been a part of The Greek Institute in Cambridge, MA from 2005-07 and happy to share with you two very touching poems from the villages of Greece that were passed to me through the 501(c)3 registered charitable organization. The Institute was founded to foster the growth of ARETE, SOPHIA and TECHNE, three Greek ideals which can roughly be translated as excellence, wisdom and skill in the adept presentation of one's aesthetic sensibilities.

Enjoy these folk songs, or, λαϊκα

ΠΩΣ ΠΙΑΝΕΤΑΙ ΓΗ ΑΓΑΠΗ
'Εβηάτε άγορια 'ς τό χορό, 
χοράσια ΄ς τά τραγούδια, 
πέστε και τραγουδήσετε πώς πιάνεται γή αγάπη.
'Από τα μάτια πιάνεται, 
'ς τά χείλια κατεβαίωει, 
κε' από τα χείλια ΄ς την καρδιά ριζώνει 
και δε βγαίνει.
Come, boy, to the village,
Singing the songs,
Say and sing how love takes hold.
From the eyes it touches,
to the lips it goes down,
then from the lips to the heart where it takes root
and does not go out.

ΚΟΡΗ ΠΟΙ ΛΑΜΠΕΙ
Εδώ σ' αυτή γειτονιά δεν πρέπει νε ειν' φεγγάρι
Μον πρέπει να 'ναι συννεφιά, να 'ναι βαθύ σκοτάδι.
Γιατ' έχω μια αγαπητικιά κι εκείνη ειν' το φεγγάρι
π' όντες προβάλλει να τη διώ σκορπιέται το σκοτάδι
Και με τον ήλιο μάλωνε και με τον ήλιο λέγει.

Ήλιε μου, έβγα για να Βγω, ηια λάμψε για να λάμψω.

Έλαμψε ο ήλιος τα ταχύ, μαραίνει τα χορτάρια,
πρόβαλε η κόρη π' αγαπώ, μαραίνει παλικάρια,
φλογίζει νιούς και καίγει οχτρούς, σκλαβώνει παλικάρια,
καίγει κι εμένα π' αγαπώ μέσα στα φυλλοκάρδια.

Here in this neighborhood, there should not be a moon
There should only be cloudiness, deep darkness
Because I have a love and she is the moon.
When she appears and I see her, the darkness disappears,
and she argues with the sun and she says to the sun:

"My sun, come out so I may come out, shine so I may shine."

The sun shone right away, and the green grasses withered
The maiden I love came out, she makes young men wither
she sets fire to young men, and burns enemies, she enslaves young men,
and she burns me too, for I'm in love, deep in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

let's talk